9.14.2010

if I could have any job...






















I would want to be the one who names the colors.  Working in the paint department at Lowe's, I mix a lot of paint - and it is incredible the vast numbers of colors there are and fascinating to read the name given to each individual hue.  Obviously some are pedestrian - "Grass" for a bright shade of green or "Lipstick Red".  Some standard colors are given more interesting names... of course it sounds more stylish to say "I painted my kitchen stools "Cracked Pepper" than just saying you painted them black.  There are some customers who spend hours (I kid you not!) deciding on a color...and then others who nonchalantly tell me to pick it - they don't care.  Joy and Agony all in a $30 can!

But other color names are more poetic and attempt to attach an emotion or a feeling to a particular tone...

I especially like the Valspar color swatches that have the small square cut-out.  I'm cogitating on an art project here - a mini collage inside the cut-out that exemplifies the color name...then cover the mini collage with a square glass bevel and mount on a piece of painted wood...















Still working on the details but will post the pictures when they are complete.

What is your favorite color...and what would you name it....

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails