9.05.2013

A Southern wedding




The Southern Man and I will be traveling to Atlanta this weekend for the marriage of his oldest daughter.  The romance started years ago...but the kernel of the idea for this wedding started with these two images...appropriate for two young adults...finding their way in life...while living in Georgia...and now building a future together...







and those same images inspired the invitation I designed...






































I've been helping with other details of the wedding...which is taking place in a grand 1920's reception hall...connected to an historic inn where the out of town guests (that be me and the Southern Man along with many others) will be staying...

The vintage Georgia map used on the invitation was the jumping off point for the map idea used throughout the event...the table cards are named after archaeology sites where the bride and groom have worked...yes, they are both archaeologists and met while working on the same dig...

My trove of old National Geographic maps was culled for locations from South Florida to the South Pacific...the calligraphy and soft colors of the old maps seemed to lend a romantic air...
























Here are three of the table cards...I used chipboard cutouts from a scrapbook kit for the base...the four points mimicking the four compass points...the dressmaker pins, snipped off to a shorter size, will act as map tacks to mark the designation of each identified dig site...and the tags are designed to stand inside the vase of flowers on each table...
 
The wedding favors are charming gold compasses...provided by Laura Hooper Calligraphy...I created the tags, keeping with the wedding colors of black, white and creamy yellow...which direct guests to their table...



























And of course...the gift wrap for the present is a vintage map of the South...
with a silver star indicating their current location...






































I'd better finish packing so I'm ready for my flight...
hoping to take a few pictures, give many hugs and shower a multitude of good blessings on the bride and groom...

Sharing my creations over at Knick of Time...though I didn't use Angie's free vintage map downloads (the resolution being too small for my needs), she did provide a helping of inspiration...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails